Two NHAA photographers portray the beauty of Greece, release of book ‘Athens Twice Seen’
PORTSMOUTH - It’s more than the art of photographers Richard Moore and Sarah Flause that go on exhibit in “Thanks To Greece,” for the month of November at the New Hampshire Art Association’ Robert Lincoln Levy Gallery.
“There’s quite a backstory,” Moore says. “We went to Greece with a group from the New Hampshire Institute of Art a couple of years ago. ... There was a refugee center just down from the little hotel we stayed in, and that was the beginning of our awakening. ... Greece opened our eyes to the worldwide issue of refugees.”
The photographers are donating 80 percent of the sale of each photograph to the International Rescue Committee, which they carefully researched. The remaining 20 percent will go to the NHAA.
“In Greece we saw how the Greeks themselves welcome refugees and share what they have when government and NGO (non-governmental organization) programs fail - and with the Greek economy itself in crisis,” Moore said. “Greece opened our eyes to the waves of humanity now homeless on our planet and the glimmers of hope for a humane response. We want to do what we can.” “Thanks To Greece” won’t include images of refugees, but rather the beauty of Greece. “My work is more cerebral,” Moore says. “Sarah’s is classic black and white – exquisite prints. “We’re selling them all for very modest prices. We want everything to move out the door.” Moore’s work is from his “Twice Seen” series. “Basically I followed in the ‘photo-steps’ of the earliest photographers in Athens, when they were photographing ancient sites being rediscovered,” he explained. “I then photographed the same scenes today and digitally merged the two so the past and present are intermingled.”
Many of the NHAA exhibit selections were exhibited this summer in the Nikos Hadjikyriakos- Ghikas Gallery of the Hellenic American Union in Athens, Greece.
Flause will exhibit her black and white works “including a variety of different areas.” “Landscape, crafts/trades/arts, religious elements, and classical and vernacular architecture – so if you prefer an alternative to landscapes,” she said.
The exhibit opening will also be the launch for Moore’s “Athens Twice Seen,” the second publication of his “Twice Seen” series, and the culmination of two years work. The title on the cover is in both English and Greek, although the text is entirely in English. This, Moore said, is out of his respect for the Greek language and people.
The book will be released Nov. 1, with a special reception and book signing on Saturday, Nov. 3, from 2 to 4 p.m. at the gallery.
Go & Do
“Thanks to Greece” – NH Art Association photographers Richard Moore and Sarah Flause
Where: N.H. Art Association’s Robert Lincoln Levy Gallery, 136 State Street, Portsmouth
When: Oct. 31 through Dec. 2. Opening reception, Friday, Nov.2, from 5 to 8 p.m. Special reception and book signing of “Athens Twice Seen” by Richard Moore on Saturday, Nov. 3, from 2 to 4 p.m. at the gallery
Gallery hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Sundays from 12 to 5 p.m.
“The Parthenon” a composite photograph with a stereoscopic slide from 1911 by Richard Moore
“The Parthenon”, a black and white photograph by Sarah Flause